Sewing Vloggers

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Bag Questions Answered


I've got the lining cut out for the bag, as well as the pocket setup. The lining will be the seafoam dupioni.

Design Dreamer asked if I cut the fabrics specifically for this bag. I did. I just kind of did a hack and turn with the scissors. I started with the large pieces first, the velvet and dupionis, and then filled in with the more textured smaller pieces. Some got tucked under, some stayed on top. This is really free play. But I like the structure of the corner appliques, from the pattern, and the top stitched bias strips in contrast. In my opinion you have to have contrast to make things interesting in any kind of a art project and I consider this bag one of those.

Nancy asked about the interfacings. I tend to buy interfacings I can touch, not on line. I have no doubt that there may be better options on line but for now these basics do most of the work for me. Decor Bond, is a fusible, I think by Pellon, that is very stiff and heavy. It is intended for craft and home dec projects. You will often see it spec'd for window shades. I use it in my bags. Sometimes I use two layers. Another favorite is FormFlex. I am not sure if this is a Handler or a Pellon. It is a woven interfacing of 100% cotton. I like this a lot for collars and cuffs on tops. I like that it has a grain that you can utilize to your best advantage. Next fave is weft insertion interfacing. I get it from a shop in NH. He has the 60 inch commercial variety but you can buy this product most anywhere fabric is sold. It will probably be narrower. Just look for the grey interfacing with the funny texture. It works wonderfully for jacket/ coat fronts and comes out stiffer than you would think once fused. I am always surprised by the amount body it has. Also in the arsenal is fusible tricot interfacing. This is great on my delicate heirloom children's clothing. It adds oomph and stability to the pleated area of smocked silks and lightweight batistes. It also makes a great jacket front on a lighter weight fabric. Those are my basics that I try to always have tons of. I fill in as needed with the hair canvas and other more specialized interfacings. Those I usually get on line.

As with anything I suggest or do with my sewing, samples are in order. Always sample your interfacing before comitting to a project. It is the only to know what is appropriate. But these basics, available nearly any where fabric is sold, are good to have in the larder............Bunny

2 comments:

  1. The bag looks like it's going to be gorgeous. Looking forward to the final project.
    Am I understanding you to say you interface the entire smocked area BEFORE you pleat it???? That's a LOT of interfacing. Doesn't it shadow thru?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bunny .- thanks for all these explanations. I've tried to make a bag with a VOGUE pattern and has been a failure because of the interfacing. The fabric is Japanese cotton and I used a cotton fusible interfacing (as you say, which is typically used for collars and cuffs). The result is that it was too hard and it was impossible to sew. Now I bought a new interfacing of cotton but without fuse. I hope to have better luck.

    Your bag is lovely, really. I love the combination of fabrics. I am impatient to see the final result.

    Saludos, Paco



    Bunny.- gracias por todas estas explicaciones. Yo, he intentado hacer un bolso con un patron VOGUE y ha sido un fracaso por culpa de la entretela. El tejido era de algodón japonés y he usado una entretela fusible de algodón (como usted dice, de las que habitualmente se usan para cuellos y puños). El resultado es que fué demasiado dura y me fué imposible coserlo. Ahora he comprado una nueva entretela de algodón pero sin fusible. Espero tener mejor suerte.

    Su bolso está precioso, de verdad. Me encanta la combinación de tejidos. Quedo impaciente por ver el resultado final.

    Saludos, Paco

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...