Sewing Vloggers

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A Bit of this and That

The Deer River is at is usual Fall low and the trees are turning as you can tell. Credit the Bible or credit Simon and Garfunkle but one of my favorite string of words is "To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven". (Hope I got it right.) This time of year I really feel that. It's the last sweet corn harvest. It's being able to walk across those big boulders down the river. It's perusing soft, wooly fabrics and thinking of the warmth they will bring. It's a whole different mind set as we settle in for Nature's fury up here.

************************************************



These are some of dear Ima's mostly hand crocheted doilies. There are more. I think those odd shaped pieces are the antimacassars of old. I keep thinking of how I could blend all of these in a garment. My mind is working on that one.

*****************************

This boring little pile is really the loveliest of fine batistes and piques, great basics for heirloom sewing. So much more to clean......
********************************

A bit about the blog: I am finally happy with it's look. The little machine picture in my profile is antique child's machine I luckily picked up at a yard sale for a dollar or so. It makes a chain stitch but a bit of rust has it out of commission. It is the cutest doggoned little "sculpture" and reminds me of the passion I had for sewing even as a little girl. I would have worn this thing out if it were mine. That, or my brothers would have taken it's life...... I am not fully on board with my portrait. I have been nursing an abcessed tooth for the past month and looking rather puffy . I will get a root canal Saturday. Two rounds of Penicillin have kept me going.  Why wait so long? Well, first there were work commitments. Second, DD#2 is a dentist and works on Mom for free. This necessitates a trip down  to NH. Of course she wanted me to stop everything  and get it done immediately. So we will be heading down this week and I can't wait to finally get this done.

DD#1's nanny is on vakay for two weeks so I will be filling in there, watching almost 2 year old twins and a 5 year old.  For the next 2 1/2 weeks  the posting will be sparse so bear with me. My mojo and energy level are not their usual due to the infection and I can't seem to sleep well or get enough. I will be so glad when this is fixed. I need my sewing mojo back . I know it will definitely return. I want to get started on the little red cashmere coat for Carly to go with her bishop. That will start as soon as I feel better. Thanks for your patience and I know your caring,,,,,,,,Bunny

15 comments:

  1. Glad you're getting this taken care of (and for free, too!). Yes, definitely pull all those bits of lace into a fabulous Bunny original: It will be spectacular! Don't worry about posting, a break is always good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so beautiful where you live. I would love to be there now walking around with my family.

    Ima's crocheted doilies are such wonderful treasures. You are so creative; I know you will figure out what to do with them. You could use just one here and there as a little added touch for different projects. They don't have to be all together. It might be nice, when you make something from the things Ima gave you. to take a picture and send it to her. I'm sure she would enjoy that very much.

    Glad you are getting your tooth taken care; you'll feel better in no time.

    You know we'll always be here no matter how long between posts; so just relax, take care of yourself, and enjoy the grands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so relieved to know this tooth business will finally be behind you, Bunny. We worry, ya' know! :)

    Your photos give me a chill just looking at them but then your post with all the luscious fabrics & laces warmed me right back up.

    Safe travels, my friend & take it easy if you can between babysitting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Bunny, I am praying for you. I know you must be hurting terribly. Your picture is darling but I know you will have a bigger smile when you are not in so much pain.
    I love your picture of the river. And I love that quote from Ecclesiastes 3.
    I pray you have a beautiful day and feel better.
    Sivje

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing like a tooth problem to make a person miserable. Rest when you can and feel better soon. Oh, those trims and fabrics you aquired! You will make such beautiful things from them. AFTER you get your tooth fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. An abscessed tooth can make a person miserable. Lucky for you that you have a dentist in the family!! I just came home from taking my mother to the dentist (two days in a row and last week too). She's completely in a wheel chair so this wasn't easy.
    Those crocheted doilies are wonderful. I could incorporate those into little girl dresses in a heart beat!!
    The trees are gorgeous. Ours haven't started changing yet, but they will soon. We're heading up to the NE soon. Can't wait to see the colors there, then come home to see ours, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Bunny. There is absolutely nothing worse than tooth pain. And nothing better than grandchildren to make you forget all your woes!

    We'll all be patient with you as you get well and get rested after a week chasing after little ones!

    Cissie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful photo! Here we are enjoying the spring blossom and the new growing season. Hope you are feeling better soon and mojo makes a return.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for continuing to post your treasures, you are so lucky and I am so grateful to know treasures like those are out there and cherished! Good luck with the dental work and safe travels. Sounds like you'll have your hands full with the grandbabies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic photo and wonderful words to go with it! I share your wistful enthusiasm for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooooooo - I love your new look - it's beautiful, and love the pic - we get to see the front of your head! Wow - those wonderful heirlooms from Ima are treasures - any ideas?....you could do some fabulous insertions - in back panels, and that pile of fabric is NOT boring - I'm green as those types of things are very rare in my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, dear, hope you're hanging in there with that tooth until the weekend! Thanks for letting us see all the pretty things you've been blessed with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had a root canal done about a year ago (I thought it was going to be an ordeal, but NO IT WASN'T). It was no problem at all. I just had the crown put on the tooth and all is fine now. I was a bit nervous because my mother had a couple of root canals and suffered a bit, but that was 40 years ago. Things have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just stopped by to say Hi. You live in such a pretty place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've nominated you for an award because I love your blog so much. Please come to my blog to get so you can put it on your blog. Thanks.

    Emily of Super Stitches, Age 9

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...