Sewing Vloggers

Friday, February 25, 2011

"Emilee" from AS&E #74

My fingers have been itching to smock and to work on something "Spring-y". What started out as a nightgown for Carley has now changed to a sweet little summer dress. The pic above is from Australian Smocking and Embroidery issue #74 and is called "Emilee". I not sure why I landed on this choice. Could it be that the beautiful child in the picture is almost a twin of my youngest at this age? My Audrey had the curly auburn hair, round cheeks, and chubby little arms. Or is it just the type of summer dress that my oldest daughter likes to put on Carley? Perhaps a bit of both, but right now it feels good to be working on something very lightweight and with challenging handwork. The back of this dress is a criss cross strap and so cute.
The pattern has been traced off, cut out and put through the pleater. The fabric is a softly printed cotton batiste. You can see how tightly the pleats have become. Hindsight tells me that I could have interfaced the pleating but I think it will be OK.
 
I am always surprised to see how prints pleat up. I love how this one came out with a moire design. They don't all come out this nicely. Some prints pleat up into a nasty concoction of color. You just never know and it is risk, but this one was a sweet surprise. The smocking will be mostly in the aqua color with either cast on or bullion daisies. Not sure yet. 
This is the perfect project right now for me. It portends of Spring, takes some focus, and puts my mind off of nasty coughing. I am feeling quite better from the "bug" part but my coughing has caused my cartilage to have ripped from the rib cage and to even possibly have a cracked or broken rib. I had to cough that hard. It hurts like the dickens. Sitting and smocking will be perfect to keep me "in the zone" and not coughing. I am sure looking forward to this all being over. I promise, no more references to my issues. I am sick of it too!....Bunny

11 comments:

  1. What an amazing dress that's going to be! I love the moire pleats :)

    For bronchitis, numbing throat spray or cough drops with menthol may help (Fisherman's Friend are my favorite). I had bronchitis in Dec and it took prednisone to stop the cough :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bunny, what a beautiful dress that is going to be. I love putting prints through the pleater to see what I will end up with. If I am not to sure I will pleat a smaple of the fabric, but have always loved the colors as they blend together.

    Praying for you, hate to know you are so sick.

    Nonie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you get better soon. Sounds terrible. Hopefully the dress will keep the coughing at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness, I'm so sad to hear how badly you've been feeling! But, I'm so glad that you found the perfect project to throw yourself into! I know it will be lovely when it's all done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pleater is so cool! Can't wait to see the progress on the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is really surprising how different the fabric looks when pleated. When I first learned to smock I was taught not to pick out the threads until after the fabric was pleated, because you never know how it will look. I think this will be just lovely.

    I had that cough last year, and my son kept telling me to drink some scotch! And you know what? It really works. Just a bit to numb the throat helps to calm you down and quit coughing so much.

    I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Bunny - I love this dress! I need to start a smocking project soon too. You have inspired me!

    Maris Olsen
    http://sewmaris.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see the finished product. You always amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bunny -- Glad that you are feeling better. Please know that no one is tired "sick" of your references to your "issues". Just happy that you have found the perfect project to convalesce with. It will be lovely, I'm sure.

    Reminds me that Easter will be here before we know it! And I'd better get cracking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that little dress- what a great choice for spring! The fabric looks pretty and perfect for that project. I can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my! Love that you are smocking. I haven't made a smocked dress since my girls were little. You have inspired me to get out my pleater. I have three granddaughters and haven't made a dress for any of them yet.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...