Sewing Vloggers

Friday, February 17, 2012

D&G continues...

I am trying to squeeze in one more post before I hit the road. Above is 8 yards of bias. It should be enough but I am crossing my fingers here. The only thing nastier than cutting silk charmeuse is cutting bias strips of silk charmeuse. I got it done but it was a tad fiddly. I used the  technique found in the tutorial "Bias, bagged". I literally have nothing left of the lining fabric. I am going to deal with my sleeves last just in case I am short on bias. I can cut them for stripping and use another lining in the sleeves. Who will know but us?
At this point all of the pieces, except the sleeves are quilted. I am going to bring them with me on my ride to tie off the threads, so many threads! " Idol hands are the devil's workshop" even in a car. At least my grandmother would have said so.
Often a princess seamed jacket has those seams front and back. There is usually a side panel  under the arm, connecting the fronts and back. But this jacket, Simp 2284, has some interesting details here. The back is a center seam back, no princess seams. But do you see how the side front extends into the back, past the center of the bottom of the armscye?The top arrow is the shoulder seam which sits right where it should. Its the side seam that is pushed to the back. Interesting detail but I like it and the way it affects the shape. I am liking this pattern more every day. It will definitely be committed to TNT oaktag status. ...Bunny

9 comments:

  1. Bunny, I'm curious - does that side seam meet up with a sleeve seam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question. Its a two part sleeve. I haven't checked that out yet. I think it might meet with the back seam of the the two part sleeve.

      Delete
    2. That side is also the C cup so maybe this is how they went about adding the additional fullness necessary.

      Delete
  2. Good thinking 99! Keeping the sleeve lining just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What dedication... can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an interesting side seam. My first thought would have been that it was an incorrect draft. So, there must be some fullness added in that area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look at the side front it just looks wider than normal as well so I definitely think this was intentional.

      Delete
  5. The bias fabric is beautiful. I think the jacket will be beautiful, inside and out. (as are all your creations)
    Beckie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't envy you cutting charmeuse bias but you seemed to have managed fine.

    Enjoy you trip and tying off all your threads.

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...