Sewing Vloggers

Sunday, October 6, 2013

A little bit of Windows in My Life...

I love the Outcasts so I hope you picked up on that bit of musicality in the title

Busy weekend but I did manage to complete a project. I've wanted something soft and simple for my sewing room window for a long time. I only recently got the blinds and they emphasized that need. I was inspired by a window I saw on Pinterest and this weekend was spent replicating. The Pinterest version had a stenciled monogram which I thought was really cool but with the monogram on my chair I thought that would be a bit much. I decided to complete the treatment and decide after if I wanted the stencil or not. Don't want it.
       
You can see the imposing underbelly of my back porch and I was hoping to hide that a bit but still maintain the lovely view of the garden and wandering wildlife. Here's the window after:


The treatment is basically two big long tabs. A piece of fabric is railroaded across with a box pleat underneath each strap that you see. I did use a couple of tricks to get to this point.

 
First is the broken wooden spoon trick. This poor spoon had just stirred too many pots and almost got chucked. It occured to me it would make a great pressing tool. I hate it when making straps and you are trying to press them flat and the seams need major fiddling to lay flat on their edge, usually a finger burning moment. With the spoon I just pushed the right side out strap all onto the handle. Then I pull out a few inches at a time to the end of the handle. I can iron the seams of the strap flat with the iron. Keep pulling and keep ironing till the whole strap has had its seams pressed flat on the right side. Now when I go to line up the strap's edges  to press they come out beautifully sharp with minimal fuss.



This is the curtain getting a clean finish on the giant tabs. I did this exactly as I did the yoke on the Crinkle jacket. The curtain is sewn to the tabs. The curtain is then rolled up and the unsewn side of the big tabs is wrapped around and sewn to the other tab/curtain seam, that "burrito" thing again. Then the curtain is pulled through after stitching and it is a clean finish inside and from the outside of the window as well. This window gets  foot traffic going by so it needs to look finished on the outside of the house as well. Do you think about how your window treatments look from the outside of the house? I always do. I think it's a New England thing. Window layouts on homes in New England are so symmetrical and they often sport all the same treatment which looks really lovely. Grow up with things like that and they stick in your subconscious forever. I so remember pulling all the shades so they were exactly even all over the house. Everyone did that where I lived.
************************************

 Today I also cut out and nearly finished a Vogue Easy pattern. It's a longish tunic that I plan to wear with leggings and a turtleneck or crisp white shirt. Pics coming. Just have to do the hems and button.....Bunny



    










18 comments:

  1. The curtain looks lovely and does just what you wanted, I think. Another New England native here who has the need to have even curtain/blinds--

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely curtain. Those lights are wonderful. Love the globes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were pretty nondescript amber globes. I sponge painted them with white acrylic paint.

      Delete
  3. Those gorgeous curtains just finish off your sewing room beautifully! They really enhance the view from the inside ... J

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your window treatmants and lampshades.classy and sophisticated come to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when you pinned the monogrammed curtain, Bunny & I loved it, but this treatment is even nicer!
    You won't ever get tired of it & I think you accomplished your goal of hiding the underbelly of the porch while preserving your pretty view. Well done!!

    I look forward to seeing your completed top. It looks like something I would love to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fresh and lovely window treatment. Even though I read your crinkle-jacket yoke instructions, I'm having a hard time visualizing the "burrito" application here. Are the tabs the two parts of the top which loop over the curtain rods? Those tabs are sewn onto the large piece of fabric which constitutes the bottom? Then the large piece is rolled up, the tabs wrapped around and sewn again? The box pleats under the straps are meant to give more fullness and drape to the swag? I'd love to be able to copy your idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By George, I think you've got it, Joan. The rod pockets, which I probably shouldn't have called tabs are one piece of fabric. You sew ONE of their edges to the bottom curtain. Then you wrap it around like in the jacket and sew the free edge of the rod pockets to the seam you just sewed, lower curtain/rod pocket. Hope this is clear. You are more than welcome to copy. The original had the big rod pocket all the way accros but I had to deal with a center support on my rod that was already up on the wall. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Joan, there is a strap on the front and another on the back. Once the curtain is done figure out where you want them to knot. STITCH them together at that spot. Fold you lower curtain in nice folds and slip those strap loops onto the folded curtain. Once hung, tie the bow.

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much; that's very clear. Love the suggestion to sew the straps together, then tie the bow. I hope mine will look as lovely and fresh as yours.

      Delete
  7. I have had the fabric and lining to make a curtain for my kitchen for YEARS... just can't make myself do it. Someone needs to remove all other distractions and stand over me with a tazer so that it gets done! Yours is lovely, so light and pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another New England gal here. Yup, the window treatments have to look just as good on the outside as the inside. And yes, my shades are rolled up exactly the same on all three of my living room windows.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing some of your life and your gorgeous tunic fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the window treatment, Bunny. What a great idea using the wooden spoon. I'll soon have one in my sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely window treatment you accomplished here! We might have different reasons for having window treatments, but it's great to hear that aside from putting up a beautiful embellishment on your window, you were also able to control your view of the outside from inside your room. Ah, the magic of curtains and blinds. Good job!
    Regina @ Salisbury Venetian Blind LLC

    ReplyDelete
  12. The underbelly of your back porch didn’t really obstruct the view of your garden, but putting up the curtain is a clever idea. I never thought blinds and curtains could go together in window that small. It actually looks nice! Merrill @ LoveYourWindows.com

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...