Sewing Vloggers

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Tunic Time, Vogue 8924

Love this design. Generally most tunic proportions are really bad on me as I am so short. They seem to end at my exact middle, not a good look. But this one I made just a bit above knee length so a little better proportions. My hubby LOVES this outfit. He's always looking out for what I call "cute comfort".  He likes it when I am his idea of cute and my idea of comfortable. Works for me, too!  Here's all the deets;

Pattern: Vogue 8924, a Very Easy  Very Vogue and it is. The design went together really quickly and the way I made it used three pieces: a front, a back, and a pocket. Simple, simple, simple. I did view B.



 Fabric: This is some sort of jacquard from the local JAs that I picked up on clearance last year. It appears to be a cotton/poly blend and is a suiting weight, nothing particularly special but with this pattern it's day in the light had finally arrived. It is a bit "springy" but that's OK. I like that this will be worn with a turtleneck or crisp white shirt and leggings or tights.It is PERFECT for my work. I plan to make another really soon.  It is a definite positive/negative coloration between the front and back side. I used the more gray side for the tunic and the more black side for the pockets.

  
Construction:  This was so easy to make and would have been done long ago save my handwork on the back. All the edges were serged prior to construction, definitely worth the effort. This was quite ravel-y. I also chose to line the pockets. I just liked line pockets but once topstitched a teeny bit of the lining showed despite favoring the fashion fabric to the lining side. I think next one will just be turned and stitched, no lining. This has no zippers, no facings, and no set in sleeves, wahoo!

Once completed I thought it was likeable but rather dour. It also gave off a Japanese apron type of vibe to me so I decided to embellish the upper pleat area in the back with some pickstitching and a bullion and french knot motif. Rising sun? Aster? Mum? you decide but it took it from being too serious and I love the embellishment. Up until that point it was just another VEVVogue simple pattern.

 Bottom line: I highly recommend this pattern. It is a nearly instant gratification project with no fit issues. I used the size 4-6, extra small. The bust and hips on this pattern are about 50 inches in that size so keep that in mind particularly if you are smaller than me. I will cut the above fabric, for another much more drapey version. It is a poly blouse weight. I will also use the version with the sleeves and collar, I think. Back to the studio.
*****************************

The voting closes tomorrow at midnight for the Sew Stylish jacket contest. Whether I win or not I would just like to thank all of you who voted for me. I so appreciate your kindness and effort...........Bunny

21 comments:

  1. I work in a freezing cold office and am always looking to add layers. This would be perfect! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bunny there's nothing like a great fitting tunic. Are you wearing leggins in the picture. I always look for great tunic patterns to wear with leggings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wearing leggins, Faye, with black clogs. Glad you like it.

      Delete
  3. Cute comfort. That's my new moto... Looks lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the tunic. I, too, am short - might have to borrow your idea and make them longer. Nice fabric
    Marciae from SG

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is indeed cute! And looks comfy. (I was happy to vote for your beautiful jacket--and glad that they quickly corrected the photo to show it right side out. Yikes.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tunic looks great and I especially like the embroidery touch. I didn't know about the contest, but I just hopped over and voted for you. I'll get on my laptop and do the same :) I was a little surprised to see that one on the jackets, and I won't say which one was made over 2 years ago. So, I am especially hoping that you win.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The embellishment is really cute - I love it! This is a spiffy outfit.
    Good luck with the jacket contest. I voted early and often ;)
    It is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you look great in the tunic so if its comfy as well its a win win situation. Good luck in the contest you got my vote

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your husband has great taste! Love your tunic too, especially the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ingenious, Bunny, with the added embroidered accent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute comfort - that is the holy grail isn't it? This is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At my age I will gladly take that description.

      Delete
  12. I like the term cute comfort and I'm loving this on you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute! I just bought that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it too! Very cute and comfy looking. My husband likes cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks darling on you Bunny & I am tempted to try making one, too. In a much bigger size, of course! LOL

    Good luck on the jacket contest. You know I've voted for you & am keeping my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for this review of a Vogue I must now add to my collection. You look so chic and stylish, and youthful, in this outfit. I have played around with length this summer, and concluded that this also is the length I need. I am 5'1" or so and tunics *must* go past my lower hips...ideally end a few inches above my knee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree. Tunics are not easy to pull of on petites but very short dresses, yes! ; )

      Delete
  17. Great tunic Bunny!! Isn't it nice when hubbies love and comment on our clothes?! And cute is a great word to use. Love the little red flower in the back.

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...